The Bread Box Bakery of Shipshewana, started by the Mishlers in 1984, was purchased by the Scherger Family in April of 2000. Aquiring the Bread Box Bakery was an extension of a dream that began with the purchase of the Morton Street Bed and Breakfast in June of 1998.
David Scherger, a Mechanical Engineer, and Peggy, an elementary school teacher, had always wanted their own business. After much research and prayer, they decided that a Bed and Breakfast would be perfect. They purchased the Morton Street Bed and Breakfast in Shipshewana, Indiana. Their daughter, Kelly and husband, Gentry McConnell, moved from Missouri to help them renovate and operate the ten room Bed and Breakfast.
The Bread Box Bakery, located directly behind the Morton Street Bed and Breakfast, went up for sale in the winter of 1999 and was like a natural fit for the Scherger family. Once again they embarked together on a new adventure along with their son Dan and other faithful associates. Within three years they had outgrown their small building and began to look for a larger place. After consideration, six of the Bed and Breakfast rooms were closed and the Bread Box Bakery moved into one of the large turn-of-the-century homes. With a larger location, the Bakery business was able to expand into the Bread Box Bakery & Cafe.
Today, the Schergers own the Morton Street Bed and Breakfast, the Bread Box Bakery and Cafe, and the Scherger’s Kettle Jam & Jelly Cannery. The Bed and Breakfast now consists of four guest rooms in a gorgeous home with Victorian decor. The Bakery and Cafe is located next door and offers both indoor and outdoor dining in a beautiful park-like setting. The Scheger’s Kettle, right next door to the bakery, produces homemade jams, jellies, butters, salsas and pie fillings. All three businesses are a destination for many of the tourists that come to Shipshewana, the Heart of Amish Country.
Frequently asked questions:
- The information we receive from you is stored only as long as is necessary to provide the services you request. We do not store any credit card or financial account information in our databases that could be later used inappropriately.
- Personal information you may supply will not be sold, or otherwise made available to anyone outside of our organization.
- All orders are shipped ASAP, Monday through Friday, during normal business hours
- We ship all orders through UPS unless a post office box number is provided and then we will go through the Post Office. Different arrangements can be made for shipping by call us at 1-800-447-6475.
- We ship within the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico and Armed Forces APO’s.
- Completing your email address is optional. We use it only to provide you with an order confirmation. We do not sell information, share it, use it for purposes of spam mail, and most important – we would never solicit business from the individuals to whom our customers send products.
- All ingredients may contain a trace of nuts. If you have an allergy, we recommend you do not consume our products.